Check out my other flashlight blog at: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/ More content coming soon.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

1981 to 1989 7C Lights

Summary: 7 cell Maglites are some of the most desired among collectors. However, they didn't sell well when originally released due to their size. Maglite started making C cell lights in 1981, almost 2 years after D cells.

7D and 7C cells are among some of the rarest lights Mag Instrument has produced. C cells were introduced after D cell lights in 1981. C cells have been far less popular over the years mainly due to the fact that they are close to the same physical size but with less battery capacity. Some prefer the smaller diameter barrel of C cells though especially in the civilian market. The 7 cell models were mainly intended for law enforcement but many departments started to frown on larger "more menacing" lights in the wake of several police brutality controversies in the mid 80s and because of the increased brightness of smaller more carry friendly lights.

7 cell lights, both C and D, did not sell well and Mag Instrument discontinued them after only a few years. 7C cells were discontinued in 1989. 5C and 6C cells were discontinued in 2003.  In the 10 years or so they were produced they seem to have sold only 4,000 a year. By 1989 3Ds, traditionally Maglite's most popular model, were at serial # 3,000,000, and sold about 300,000 a year. In the 90s 3Ds easily sold 2,000,000+ units a year. It's no surprise that with such low sales number that the 7C was discontinued. C cells overall have always sold poorly compared to D cells.

The highest serials on 7Cs I've seen are ~40,000 from when the 7Cs were discontinued in 1989. I've also never seen a 7C with a Panther bezel which came out in 1992 or laser etched bezel which came out in 1990 so this makes sense. I have a C Cell Quick Dating Guide for those interested in these differences throughout the years. Early models are typically worth more than later models and condition is a big factor in cost also. A good condition early light can bring up to $250 with later, more well used models selling for $150 or more.

Shown below is my collection of 7C lights and I'll go through each of them in detail.



These 2 7Cs are the earliest in my collection. Both are pretty well used. The really beat up one is a 1982 7C, it is a ~6,000 serial. It came from a collector in the UK who purchased it from eBay. I personally prefer used lights over NIB ones although I do own both. The used lights more so tell a story and are each unique with the way the finish fades and the nicks and scratches that add up. From what I hear these longer lights were more popular in Europe where most weapons are banned. These could still be purchased for defense legally. The other light is a 1984 ~12,000 serial and was purchased from an estate sale but unfortunately I didn't get many details on it. These lights have the flat style end cap produced only during the first few years of production starting in 1981 and up until about 1986 or so. The 6,000 serial light is likely from the second batch of 7Cs. Starting around 1987 C cell Maglites came with a longer end cap that could store a bulb. I have an example of this too.




I've also included a photo for comparison purposes next to a red 1990 6D. Starting in 1990 several changes were implemented to the D cell Maglites. Note that the 7C cell is actually an inch or so shorter than a 6D cell.



This is a later 7C that I picked up on everyone's favorite auction site. This light, like most online, had very few details but I could tell it was a long C cell. 5, 6, and 7 C cells are all fairly rare and have each been going for $100 plus when properly described and the auction ends at night. So, I snatched it up at $30 shipped to find out a couple days later when it arrived it was another 7C. It is a ~38,000 serial and Maglite dated it for me at 1988.




This 7C came from one of the large auction site retailers that liquidates estate finds and storage lockers so unfortunately I don't have any story behind it but it appears to be in pretty good shape. It has a later style 6D bi-pin bulb installed. In a previous post I wrote about PR based bulb specs and showed some old Mag Inserts. From this a PR20 is the correct choice for 7 cells. Mag Instrument no longer produces their own 7 cell bulb and PR20s aren't easily found in stores so a lot of folks use a 6 cell bulb. The 6 cell bulb works just fine but has a marginally shorter life. Shown below is the difference in end caps that I mentioned earlier. The newer style "store-a-bulb" end cap is shown on the top and the older flat end cap is shown on the bottom.



This last 7C is a very special one. It was featured in Maglite displays at early trade shows and in Maglite ads. Unfortunately it is no longer water resistant as it had holes drilled it it for display purposes but otherwise it is in like new condition. I was able to purchase this light from an ex-Maglite employee. Other than its interesting history it is a run of the mill ~14,000 serial early style 7C. I display it with the rest of my Maglites but I'm able to hang it up through the original display holes so it's a very unique addition to my collection.




As always I'm looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

3 comments:

  1. I was always a big fan of the 6 C-Cell Maglite. The D-Cell lights were just too fat to hold comfortably and too heavy in the 6 cell variety. I moved in 2004 and put everything I owned into storage, including 2 6-C cell Maglites. Several months later I lost everything to a flood, including my Maglites. After getting settled I started to replace some of my lost items and discovered that the 6-C had been discontinued. I searched for a couple weeks until I found one supplier that still had them listed for sale. I ordered 4 then on a hunch and before those 4 even came in ordered an additional 21, all they had left in stock. They listed for $22.50 each and with the shipping came in at around $25. 10 came in display boxes and 15 in blister packs. I gifted a few and sold about 14 for as much as $180 each. The first 3 I sold paid for all of them so the rest was profit. I still have a few and sell one occasionally. The 2 that I use say PATENTED MADE IN USA and have serial numbers that start C60599XXX. Just thought you might get a kick out of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's awesome!! That's a great find. If you have any left you're looking to sell I do know a couple folks that are interested. My e-mail is liftd2001@gmail.com Thanks again!

      Jay

      Delete
    2. Hi, I just found this site while looking for new torch globes. I just bought a new 6 D-Cell Maglite torch from Amazon. I then found a stash of old Maglite torches in my garage, many went back to my days the Police Force in Victoria, Australia in the late 1970s and early 1980s. What I found was that although I used my first Maglite, the 5 D-Call to disarm some offenders. I had to use it 2 handed. I later bought the 7 C-Cell Maglite torch and it was much more usable. Our original Police issued baton was better suited as a Sex-toy and many of my fellow Officers bought Maglite Torches for operational uses. It saved my life and others on several occasion. I have both of those torches and a 6 C-Cell torch that I am unable to remember when I got it. They are all no longer pristine in appearance and I am converting the old globes to LED ones. Neil

      Delete