Check out my other flashlight blog at: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/ More content coming soon.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

1992 to 2000 2C Chevy Trucks Lights

Summary: Maglite partnered with many 3rd parties over the years to produce licensed lights. One such example is a light they made for Chevrolet which came in a tool kit with their trucks and SUVs.

Starting in 1992 Maglite partnered with GM to include a special light in service kits of higher trim level Chevrolet Tahoes and Suburbans. Similar to the Ferrari Mini Maglites, but produced in much higher quantities, these lights were intended to assist with roadside maintenance of the vehicles. The lights were packaged in a canvas service kit shown below and were all of the 2C variety with a laser etched Chevy Trucks logo over the grip. The service kit also included various other items like a leatherman's tool, disposable camera for accident documentation, and a first aid kit. Maglite chose to include a 2C due to the C cells very slow sales. As such, Maglite was able to offer Chevrolet a much lower price per light in order to help move some C cells.



Most of these lights are non-letter serial C cells and they all have the 1992 and later bezel with the panther logo. C cells were not modernized until 2003, nearly 10 years after D cells. This particular light has a TM designation after the panther logo which means it is from between 1992 and 1995. In 1995 the trademark on the Panther head logo was approved and the TM was removed and an R with a circle was added. For those interested I have a Quick Dating Guide for C Cells. The Chevy Trucks logo was laser etched and I've done a little bit of history on that in my earlier post about the Chevron 3D I have. That post can be found here.




These lights are fairly common and aren't worth much more than $20 or so. Most of the lights went unused and batteries were stored separate from the lights so they're relatively easy to find in good shape. All of the ones I've seen for sale were from auto scrap yards and folks parting out or getting rid of these trucks. These lights were produced for later Chevy trucks too. I've seen LED versions of the lights too but I'm not entirely sure which other models they came with. Shown below is the body style Tahoe and Suburban this light was included with. GM and Maglite would continue their collaboration to include a silver 2D light in the service kit of the Hummer H2 from 2002 to 2009. I don't own one yet but hope to in the future.



As always I'm looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags especially a 7D. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

1 comment:

  1. I have one I would sell, email me if you are interested

    ReplyDelete