Check out my other flashlight blog at: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/ More content coming soon.

Friday, May 25, 2018

1990 2C U.S. Air Force Light

Summary: Maglite started laser etching lights in 1988 but didn't start accepting custom laser etched orders until around 1990. This is one of the first custom laser etchings and it was done for Edwards Air Force Base in California.

This 2C Maglite was ordered by the U.S. Air Force Purchasing Department for use at Edwards Air Force Base near Mag Instrument's headquarters in California. Edwards Air Force Base is home to many experimental aircraft and it also served as a landing strip for the NASA's space shuttle program. The owner of this light was stationed at Edwards and used it frequently during the course of his deployment there from the 1990 until the early 2000s. This light has some great stories from all of the activity at the site including late night top secret air craft tests and historical space shuttle landings.

Like other early custom lights the logo is laser etched on the head. Because the light also has a laser etched bezel but lacks the Panther logo it is considered a "transitional" light and was produced in either 1990 or 1991. For those interested in dating the lights this info can be found on my C Cell Quick Dating Guide. Please enjoy a couple pics of the light below.



It is very similar to the 3D Laser Etched Chevron Light that I posted about earlier. It is a very early example of laser etched customization that Maglite started to offer around 1990. I also posted about a couple other military lights I have including one issued to the Australian military and one that was personalized by an aircraft mechanic. Because of the Maglite's rugged durability and long run time it was much preferred by the military for years until smaller more compact lights came about in the late 90s. I should note that I've also seen a 3D U.S. Marines light too with the laser etching done on the head of the light as well.

As always I'm looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jason. Have you ever seen a United States Army 2 C Cell maglite? Kind regards, Mick from Nottinghamshire, England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the message! I haven't but I have a US Army 2D or 3D in my collection.

      Delete