Check out my other flashlight blog at: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/ More content coming soon.

Thursday, August 3, 2017

1999 to 2009 Ferrari Mini Maglites

Summary: Maglite partnered with many automotive manufacturers to produce lights that were supplied with vehicles. One example is a light they provided for an esteemed marque, Ferrari. Because the lights were supplied with batteries installed many were ruined and they are very rare and expensive today.

Maglite has always tried to get its flashlights into many different markets and that has been the key to their success. One such crossover market is automotive. In fact, many car owners will keep a Maglite tucked away in their trunk or backseat for late night repairs, roadside breakdowns, or whatever adventures they might come upon. I know I always have. I've previously covered the Chevy Trucks Maglites, but few know that Mag Instrument also made a Maglite for one of the world's most prestigious automakers, Ferrari.

Just like the deal with Chevrolet, Maglite approached Ferrari about providing a flashlight for their on board tool kits. The result was the AA Incandescent Ferrari Mini Maglite. These were provided for a two specific models that I know of for sure. I can confirm that they came with the 1999 to 2005 360 and the 2004 to 2008 430. In most cars they were mounted inside the glove box as shown below. In special racing variants like the Scudeira they were moved to the toolkit in the boot.



These lights sell for very high prices today because of their rarity and desirability among Ferrari owners. Maglite originally supplied the lights with 2 AA batteries installed inside the light when they were installed in the cars. As such many went unused and were ruined when the batteries were stuck inside. Others were removed from rental Ferraris as a souvenir by the renters. When the cars were later sold on the private market many owners tried to source a light. Neither Ferrari nor Maglite currently sells a replacement so many folks looking for them flock to the large auction site to find one. Going prices can be $200 and up due to the expensive nature in general of Ferrari items.

I've also seen Ferrari owners who tried to make their own by painting a standard Mini Maglite matte silver and applying decals. These are easily differentiated from the authentic models. Factory made Ferrari lights do not have a knurled grip pattern like most Mini Maglites. They also have a different style font that is screen printed instead of laser etched into the bezel. Lastly they use a screen print and on the barrel of the light for the Ferrari logo.

Ferrari produced around 15,000 360s and likely around the same amount of 430s. This would put total production of these lights at around 30,000 or more. However they are pretty well sought after by Maglite collectors and Ferrari owners today. I picked up one of mine form another Maglite collector who got it from a prior Ferrari owner in the UK that gave it to him before he sold the car. Shown below are my Ferrari Mini Maglites.


The grey is the most common followed by the red. I think the red was either used earlier on or with special Ferrari models. The black one is the only one I've ever seen and I heard it came with the Enzo. I'm not sure if that is true but it's really rare and that story sounds good!

I also have a couple Maserati models. Maserati is owned by Ferrari so it makes sense that these may have come with certain model Maseratis. They could have also been ordered by dealers as giveaways. The matte grey one with the dark blue letter is done in the same finish as the Ferrari lights which makes me think it was supplied with a Maserati. If you have any more info on them I'd love to hear from you. My contact info is at the right.



I have also seen AA Mini Maglites produced for Mercury, Ford, Lexus, Porsche and AAA Maglites produced for Buick and Jaguar. Unlike the Ferrari lights I don't believe these ones actually came with the cars. Rather, they were given away by dealers as promotional items or with new car sales. Surefire did produce a Porsche branded light that came with several different Porsche cars.

As always I'm looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

7 comments:

  1. How much is the silver Ferrari maglite worth as i have one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, they range depending on condition. I’ve seen used but working ones go for $150. A new old stock one recently sold for $300 and that seems to be the top end. A non working one may only go for $20 or so.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, mines in perfect condition as i took the batteries out when i got it.

      Delete
  2. I would like to buy one. My f 430 is missing one. Who or were can I go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across this as I am having problems with one of Ferrari's flashlight. The batteries/bottom cap seems to be stuck. Have you ever come across this? If so, how have you fixed it?

    2001 Ferrari 550 Barchetta come with a silver flashlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tire a pair of vice grips or pliers with a rag wrapped around the flash light. However, the mini Maglites are very fragile and the threads are very fine so I am almost never able to get them apart without ruining them.

      Delete