Check out my other flashlight blog at: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/ More content coming soon.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Early C Cell Maglite History

Summary: Maglite started making C cell lights in 1981, almost 2 years after D cells. Early C cells have a flat end cap and early 5, 6 and 7Cs are especially collectible today.

I've previously covered Early Maglite History, but that post mainly covered D cells. So I figured I'd make an Early C Cell History post as well. Most flashlight manufacturers throughout history have made both C and D cell models. At one time C cells were more popular than D cells due to their more compact size and smaller diameter. Many consumers felt the C cell form factor was more ergonomic and fit their hand better. Many police officers preferred C cells because they were similar in size to the billy clubs and batons they were used to carrying. However, customer sentiment began to sway with the introduction of a heavy duty police light, the Kel-Lite.

As I've previously covered Don Keller, the founder of Kel-Lite, was the co-founder of Maglite and was the driving force behind most of the early innovation. He took the lessons he learned at Kel-Lite and various other manufacturers and applied them to Tony Maglica's improved flashlight, the Maglite. He knew from experience that D cells sold better than C cells so the first Maglite Tony and Don put together was a 3D cell. This was in early 1979. Don also knew that C cells had modest sales too so in 1981 after setting up the D cell production line Maglite introduced a C cell model. Shown below is a complete line of early C cell Maglites.





I have a few other early 7C models too which are especially rare. The 5 & 6Cs are getting very tough to find as well. The 2C is brand new in box, BNIB, and the box is labelled as a "large head". I've explained those differences here but they were mainly a marketing gimmick to differentiate C and D cells.

Maglite's trademark was approved in May of 1981 so only the very very earliest C cells will be stamped "Paten Pending". I only have one such model. These early style Maglites were produced until 1986. I have a C Cell Quick Dating Guide for those interested in the differences throughout the years. The biggest difference is that these early lights have a flat end cap. Shown below is this flat end cap as compared to the 1987+ "store-a-bulb" extended end cap.  I should also note that around 1982 an extended end cap may have become an option on these lights. They are extremely rare and may only be a prototype. They look different than the standard one that was offered in 1987. I've covered mine in another post on my blog.



Vari-Beams were also produced in this early style and were produced right along with the first C cells. Shown below are some of my Vari-Beams mixed in with my early C cells.



Aside, from 5, 6, and 7Cs other early C cells do not command a high price. I've been able to pick up new in box, NIB, early C cells for $50 or so and used models only go for around $20 to $30. I should also note that I've only seen a blue and silver C cell as far as finishes go aside from the Vari-Beams but they may have been a test run finishes because I've never seen any others.

As always I'm looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment