Check out my other flashlight blog at: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/ More content coming soon.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Best Upgrades for Vintage Lights

I also have a new post with some one-off custom LED upgrades I am now making too. 

Aside from collecting vintage and rare Maglites I also use them everyday for both work and recreation. While Maglite currently has a large collection of LED lights nothing is as authentic as an old large barrel beat up incan Mag. The only problem.... everyone knows the stock incan bulb is pretty disappointing compared to all the light the new lights put out.

But, there is a solution, call it a restomod if you will. One of my favorite sites, Malkoff Devices makes an LED Maglite drop in. This drop in gives you the latest LED technology and much better heat sinking, run times and light output than any of the current Maglite LED models. The drop ins are pricey but well worth it as they are the best that money can buy. Malkoff's site is: https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/maglite-drop-ins-and-accessories and they are an awesome small family owned company. You will need the sleeve adapter shown if you're planning on putting this drop in in a "non-letter serial" light.

You will have to cut or replace the Maglite reflector with their drop ins. I opted for aluminum reflectors from KAI Domain. They are overseas and have very slow shipping but their price is right at $10 and they make a high quality reflector with a removable cam that fits perfect with the Malkoff drop in. Go SMO (smooth) for lots of throw which makes for a great spot light or OP (orange peel) which produces more flood and is easier to keep clean. Their site is: http://www.kaidomain.com/c/144.Maglite-Parts-And-Accessories

Upgrading to rechargeable batteries is a desirable upgrade too and a necessity if you go with Malkoff's more powerful XM-L drop in. I prefer Tenergy Centura D cells which are in the pic below. Tenergy also makes a Premium, which is blue, but the premium in not a low self discharge battery and will discharge rapidly when not in use. The Centuras will hold a charge for about a year when not in use. These are easily found on Amazon. After trying several rechargeable batteries I like these the best. I use a Maha charger but you could easily find chargers that are of similar quality for less money.

Lastly, I recommend upgrading the lens too. Maglites, except for the Mag Charger, come with an acrylic lens that scratches very easily and often becomes cloudy with age. This blocks a lot of the light and makes for a messier beam. It also can't really be cleaned. I use lenses from FlashlightLens.com. Their site is at: https://www.flashlightlens.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=mag_C_D and I really prefer their UCL lens. Their lenses are mostly glass which doesn't scratch and is easier to clean. Most of their glass lenses are going to be just as durable as an acrylic lens too but they have several so be sure to read all of the descriptions and decide which is best suitable for your needs.

I've also added a section in the right hand site toolbar that lists these upgrades.

Anyway, here's my pics:




The 4D is a 1988 ~1,000,000 and has been beat up an banged around so I figured it's sometime to give it a little love with a Malkoff XM-L drop in and my standard upgrades. This light has a lot of miles on it but a lot left to go! The XM-Ls throw tons of lights and are best for outdoors and long range spotting vs. the XP-G2 which throws about half as much light and is better for indoors and close range light.

The 2D was a BNIB (brand new in box) 1989 that I picked up in a lot of BNIB Mags a while back. I've detailed that find here. I sold and traded a couple lights from that lot but I couldn't part with the last 2 2Ds so I modded this one to use around the house and for camping and work with a Malkoff XP-G2 drop in and my other standard upgrades.

I'll also build these to order for a small premium from my stock of old lights. If you're interested my contact info is at the right.

If you're looking for a little more challenging, incandescent project light to put together I also have a post of lithium ion powered Maglites too.

As always I'm looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jason,

    I did a cool mod with a 2C that makes it very bright without going LED or swapping out parts.
    I found a 3' section of 3/4" pvc gas line pipe at my home depot for 99¢ was ideal for an 18mm cell space filler. Cut to length as required.

    Next in the solar lamp section a pair of LifePo4 18500 cells put out a gentle 3.2 volts. A pair of those are about $10. A 4 cell bi-pin kit makes it so the bi-pin bulb goes into the PR base perfectly.

    No other mods required and it puts out about 175 lumens mag lumens.

    I used an acrylite (slightly difused) lens from flashlight lens dot com and a NiteCore D4 charger which has a LifePo4 setting

    ReplyDelete