Check out my other flashlight blog at: http://otherflashlights.blogspot.com/ More content coming soon.

Friday, June 2, 2017

Early Maglite Package Inserts

After my bulb spec and non-letter serial colors posts I noticed there was some interest in the old inserts that came in Maglite packaging. I have 3 shown below. They are from the earliest D cells, the earliest C cells and then starting in 1982 or so the inserts were combined to show D and C cells.

The first insert below is from a 1979 light, specifically the earliest Maglite I know to exist.. This insert is in very rough shape as not many exist from this time and it was not printed on as heavy stock as were later inserts. It makes reference to a large head size which was never produced. It also details using vinegar to clean battery corrosion and warns against leaving batteries in the light past their expiration date. The parts lists shows 2 through 7 cell options for the bodies. 7Ds ran for only a very short time and I'll do a post on them in the future.



The one below, on green stock, is from a 1981 2 C Cell. This insert would have run for the first year or so until both parts list were combined into a single format shown below. The reason for the different inserts is because D cell lights were introduced in 1979 whereas C cell lights were introduced in 1981.



I have a couple of interesting notes on here. The blue 2C - 4C lights that are listed likely do exist as I found one recently. It's a 4C but I've never actually seen the 2C and 3C versions. The Sil/Blue option that's listed is for the Vari-Beams. These lights were actually available in 2 through 5 cells in both C and D so I'm not sure why they weren't listed here unless this parts list is for the intermediate style where the grip was cut like a solitaire and the lights were numbered separate from the Maglite line. I don't know if the intermediate Vari-Beams were ever produced in C cells as there just aren't that many examples of even the D cells around. Maglite was still using their old address on the warranty info. They are now located on South Hellman Ave in Ontario although Mag Instrument still has an office at South Sacramento Ave. Mag also stopped selling switch parts and now only sells the full switch assembly. Shown below is a Vari-Beam insert which is identical except that each instance of Maglite has been replaced by Vari-Beam.



The white insert below is from 1983 and was used all the way until 1991. This insert combined the C and D cell parts list into one list so the same insert could be used for both C and D cells.



Some interesting notes on here are that the 7D cell barrel part has been removed but the 7C barrel still is left on. This is because 7Cs continued production until 1989 where as 7Ds were only made until 1982. Silver also shows as not being available for order in Ds or Cs but I'm not sure why. I have a silver 2D and a silver 3C light from around this time. I'm guessing it's because Maglite produced these sparingly, possibly as test runs, and didn't stock parts for them. Some C cell models still show as being available in blue but again I've never seen these.

As always I'm looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

1 comment: